Saturday, January 1, 2011

new years writing resolutions


1.Force myself to revise my story one. Last. Time. I know I can do it, and it probably won’t kill me.

2. Take advice from husband about revisions. He keeps coming up with these great ideas to make my story better, but it would mean rewriting a bunch of stuff and changing the plot a little. So instead of putting a pillow over my head and saying, “I don’t want to talk about that anymore,” I should pull out a pen and start taking notes.

3. Don’t give up. I’ve been revising this current story for at least the past nine months (I could have cooked up a beautiful, perfect baby in that time, but can I cook up a beautiful, perfect story? Not so much). But I’m also so close to getting it right. I need to pull myself up by the bootstraps (make a note to buy myself some bootstraps later), and finish it. Then move on to the next story.

4. Write for fun. I’ve been so wrapped up in revisions I can’t remember why I started writing in the first place. Editing is painful at times, and I’ve lost that lovin’ feeling. Gotta get it back again.

5. Live more. Sometimes I get stuck in a bubble, lost in my own thoughts, and I forget there’s a world going on around me. When I’m not focused on others, my life feels stale and my writing sounds stale, too. As the sign in my kitchen says, “Live well, laugh often, love much.” That’s what’s really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment