Monday, January 3, 2011

"she went out on a limb...

...had it break off behind her, and realized she could fly." Kobi Yamada

Sometimes we're afraid to go out on a limb because people might not like what they see. Whether it is writing a novel, learning to play the piano, or whatever, it's scary to put ourselves out there where we might get critiqued or criticized. 


When I finally managed to climb out onto that limb at my first writer's conference, it was terrifying. Everyone I met had more natural talent than me. Everyone seemed to be farther along than I was.  Someday I'll post the journal entry I wrote on the last day of my very first conference--the first time my writing had ever been read AND critiqued by anyone. The limb nearly broke off behind me. But despite how scary and hard writing can be, it is also fulfilling and stimulating. I never would have known any of that if I hadn't stepped out of my comfort zone and met a bunch of amazing people who have helped me learn how to fly.


Whatever your passion, don't be too afraid to step out on that limb--it might hurt a little, if the bough breaks, but it will be worth it if you find your wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment