Monday, January 31, 2011

the sound of silence

Music is a powerful thing. It influences our emotions and thoughts, sometimes without us even being aware of it. A lot of YA writers have soundtracks for their books—music they always listen to when they write certain scenes. My former writer’s group buddy, Bree Despain has a list of songs on her blog that add a specific mood to her books. It’s fun to see how the music and the story go together.



I’ve tried writing with a soundtrack a few times, but I found myself thinking about the music too much, and the songs actually influenced my stories more than I wanted them to. So now I prefer silence. When my kids are in school and the house is quiet, I can focus on my writing without any distractions.

I think I’m a minority when it comes to writing and music. What do you listen to when you write?

9 comments:

  1. I wish I could write to music. But it always interferes with what my characters are telling me. Maybe I'll be able to during the revision process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silence is usually best for me, too. Once in awhile I'll listen to something before I write to get myself in the proper mood, but I have to turn it off once I start to work.

    Actually, I haven't done pre-write listening in a long time. It's too easy for writing rituals to become another excuse to put off actual writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried writing while listening to salsa this morning--I don't speak Spanish, so the words don't get in the way. But it still felt like a distraction. It's funny, I can write with my kids making noise, or other noises, but not music...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. I can tune out my kids but not music. Even instrumental soundtracks distract me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. guess I'm not in a minority like I thought I was. It seems like all the new YA authors have a soundtrack.Maybe they're faking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't write with music either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess we're all in the same boat...

    ReplyDelete
  8. no music for me. i just find myself singing along instead of concentrating on what i'm writing. so then i don't listen to music that often since the majority of my day is either on the computer working/writing or doing things with the kids. i miss music! i'll have to figure out how to get it back into our day...

    ReplyDelete