Wednesday, June 8, 2011

decorating with books

I love books.

You can imagine how excited I was by two articles (here and here) about how owning actual, physical books makes kids smarter. I was raised in a home where we had plenty of bookshelves with plenty of books on them. Fiction, non fiction, antiques, shiny new paperbacks. None of them were just for show. They were just for reading.
 
Of course, there were several shelves of books I wasn't interested in at all, with titles like Manipulating Parents. Well, to be honest, the title caught my attention. What teenager wouldn't want to at least browse through a book about how to manipulate parents (not that I would ever do that sort of thing...), until I found out it was about parents getting kids to obey.

I never did read that one.

The point is, we had shelves, and plenty of attractive books on them. We read when we were bored, or even when we weren't bored. Island of the Blue Dolphins, Watcher in the Woods, Horton Hears a Who. So many good ones to choose from.

Am I smarter because of this? I'll never know.

But what I am certain of is that I will never regret reading any of them. Not even Watcher in the Woods, which kept me up at night for at least a month. It was deliciously terrifying. Now that old book sits on my own shelf, waiting to scare my own kids someday.

And hopefully they'll be smarter because of it!

2 comments:

  1. Even though I now own a nook, I intend to still buy lots and lots of hardcover children's books. They just make the home warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I like reading e-books, but I'll keep my shelves full of real ones, too :)

    ReplyDelete