Wednesday, August 31, 2011

perfectionism leads to procrastination

Procrastinators & perfectionists don't get much done.
Do you think that statement is true?

Sometimes I stare at the monster of a manuscript in front of me and have a million ideas on how to make it perfect. But it's so big, there's too much to do before it's just right, and I might not be able to put what I envision onto paper.

I don't want to write something that sounds weak.

In the past, the only thing that has kept me from procrastination has been lack of time. With three kids running around, I had to squeak in my creative outlet whenever I could. But now they're all in school, and there's plenty of time to put off writing and editing.

I started thinking about my own situation after reading a blog post from The WM Freelance Writer's Connection that talks about how creative people often struggle with procrastination. But Ben Franklin was one of the most creative people in history, and he worked hard to make his ideas become reality. It was a great reminder of all the things I could accomplish if I put more effort into finishing up my manuscripts and sending them out.

Now I need to stop dragging my feet and get back to work...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I think that's true. I remember James Dashner saying at LTUE "Dare to be bad." This advice has helped me push through my manuscripts and just finish them. First drafts are meant to be crap. Perfection can come during revision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that, "dare to be bad." Luckily I've forced myself to finish plenty of manuscripts, but it's the perfecting-them-during-revision part where I start to get a little overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true. I used to try to write 'perfect' first drafts....never really worked out.

    Also, I gave you an award over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kate :) I'll have to pass it on as soon as I get a minute!

    ReplyDelete