Wednesday, December 7, 2011

this tooth fairy quits

My seven year old lost another tooth a few weeks ago. And the tooth fairy forgot to come. Again.

The first time this happened, she was really upset. But this time she didn't seem fazed as she told me, "The tooth fairy didn't come."

Out of curiosity I asked, "Do you really believe a little fairy comes around collecting teeth and leaving money behind?" (Because, hey, if she doesn't believe it, let's not go through this charade!)

She rolled her eyes and said, "I know it's you mom."

My five year old son was sitting there, his eyebrows flew up in surprise. Poor kid hasn't lost a tooth yet, and his grand illusions of getting rich off the tooth fairy have already been crushed.

"What about the Easter Bunny?" I asked my daughter. "Does he really hop around leaving candy and eggs?"

"No. He's not real."

"What about Santa?"

With a serious expression, she said, "Yes. Santa is real."

Then she said I could just give her the money instead of waiting for the night to come around again, since last time I forgot to wake up. So I gave her a hand full of change and we called it good.

My five year old said he will take a turn being the tooth fairy next time someone looses a tooth--which is kind of funny considering he'll probably be the next toothless wonder at our house. He can play tooth fairy to himself.

It's okay that my brief days as a fairy are over. I never looked good in wings, anyway.


6 comments:

  1. Yes, all fantasy has been busted in our house too. It's a relief, isn't it? I can't figure out why we lie to our kids in the first place. Pretending with out kids is one thing, when we both know that it's pretend, but I always felt a little squeamish making them believe someone was doing something when it was really me. Maybe I just want all the credit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tooth fairy didn't have a chance in my house. My kids knew no fairy could ever be as flaky as their mom. I paid them interest when I was late. Guilt. Guilt.

    You're doing well with Santa :)

    When my daughter was six, she asked me if Santa was real. I wasn't going to lie--I want my kids to trust me, right?--but I didn't mind playing the game. I talked about the real Saint Nicholas and did a lot of "stories say..." stuff and every-time-you-give-that's-Santa-Claus crapola. My kid wasn't buying it.

    Her: No, Mom. Is there a guy. In a red suit. Who comes down the chimney. And brings me presents.

    Trapped.

    Me: Um, no.

    She burst into tears. And then told all her friends. I know this because the mother of one of them called me up and chewed me out.

    Friend's mom: I'm not ready for my daughter to quit believing in Santa, blah, blah, blah.

    Me: Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liesl, it is a relief. We're still talking about Santa here, and you're right, it does make me uncomfortable making them believe in something that's not real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elena, I admire you for telling the truth! My fear is just what happened to you -- my kids will go tell all their friends and I'll get in trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really have a smart kid. I enjoyed reading this blog and I was smiling reading this blog. Tooth fairy is quite famous among the kids and it is quite fascinating for them to know about the tooth fairy. I wish both your kids a bright and successful future.

    ReplyDelete