Monday, January 30, 2012

Waning Gibbous came around the other night


Good old Wane.
He’s not a movie star. He’s not a pop singer. He’s not even a he.

Up until the other night, I had no idea who (or what) Wane was. But my 4th grader knows.

He also knows about missing addends, minuends, and subtrahends. Our after-school homework session conversations often sound like this:

Him: I need help finding some missing subtrahends.
Me: Did you look in your brother’s room? That’s where everything ends up.
Him: You did learn math once, right?
Me: …..Um, sure. Let’s Google it.
Him: Mom, am I smarter than you?

I then take a few minutes from our regularly scheduled after-school homework session to remind him I was in 4th grade almost thirty years ago.

I remind him that no, he’s not smarter than me.

I remind him that I’ve been known to find several missing minuends when cleaning under the sink in the bathroom. Some addends and subtrahends, too. And I’ve even found one or two missing subject fragments, when I’ve scrubbed the toilet too hard.

The calendar told me we were going to have a Waning Gibbous. Being the genius I am, I Googled it and then went into my 4th grader’s room, hoping to trick him into thinking I was brilliant.

Me: Hey, do you know what Waning Gibbous means?
Him: It’s what the moon looks like a few days after a full moon.
Me: Curses, foiled again.

Wondering if I was the only supposedly-smart adult who didn’t know who (or what) Wane was, I found my husband reading The Professor’s Book of Really Big Words.

Me: Do you know what Waning Gibbous means?
Him: Nope.

I guess I’m smarter than a professor.
But we are not smarter than a 4th grader.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. Don't worry, I'm not smarter than a fourth grader either. We can be stupid together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.

    I'm sure a show "Are You Smarter Than A 4th Grader?" will crop up now.

    ReplyDelete