Monday, April 16, 2012

Goodbye, old friend

Last night, my Little Grandma passed away. She held on 20 years after her best friend and husband died. She struggled with dementia for years, but she was always thrilled to see me, even when she didn't know who I was.

Now all of my grandparents are gone. Now they are on the other side of the veil with loved ones they've missed, who've passed on before them. Now I'm the one left behind, missing them.


We lived in heaven before we were born. Our Father in Heaven loved us, and wanted us to grow up to become like him. We chose to come to Earth to get a body and to prove that no matter what comes our way -- even if we get dementia and feel lost and alone because we can't remember anything or anyone -- we won't lose hope. We came here to prove we'll become the best we are capable of. And while we take the test, Christ will help us correct any mistakes we make. Then when we are finished here, we will be whole. Whole enough to live with our Father in Heaven again. Whole enough to live with the ones we love forever.

I'm thankful for that knowledge. I'm thankful to know I'll see my grandparents again. I'm thankful for the tests that prove me, even though they hurt and sometimes feel too hard.

And if  I go, while you're still here. . .
Know that I live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
Behind a thin veil you cannot see through
You will not see me,
So you must have faith.
I wait for the time when
We can soon be together again,
Both aware of each other.
Until then, live your life to the fullest
And when you need me,
Just whisper my name in your heart,
. . . I will be there.
 -Emily Dickinson

3 comments:

  1. My condolences on your Grandmother. I understand what you're going through. My mother has Alzheimer's. Never was there a more cruel disease. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences to you and your family. I hope her passing was peaceful. It's so hard to lose a loved one. My sister died suddenly 2 years ago and it's been a lonely time.

    Your grandmother is darling! And as I looked at both of your photos--you look just like her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes. My Granny passed away in November of 2009, and I miss her terribly, but she had a very full life. :)

    ReplyDelete